Autumn has arrived.
The leaves have changed colours and I think we had a few flakes the other day.
I know this not only by the change in weather but by my local farmer (agriculturist) who has closed his business for the year. We had the chance to pick up a few vegetables on his last day of work: peppers, onions, and zucchini.
During the summer, grilled vegetables are usually included in our meals as an entrée (grilled zucchini and cocktail bocconcini) or side dish. We also put them in our pannini to give that little extra flavour.
Well, this will be my last dish with grilled vegetables for the year.
Yes, for the year…
It’s a very versatile meal but I do not want to see another grilled vegetable until next summer! It’s right up there on my list next to corn!!!
3 Baby zucchini, sliced lengthwise and grilled
1 Onion, sliced ½” thick and grilled
2 Red Bell peppers, quartered and grilled
500g (1lb) Penne Rigate pasta
4 garlic cloves, chopped
Cayenne pepper (optional)
Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
1. Boil water with ½ tsp salt*. Add the pasta.
2. Cut grilled vegetables in bite size pieces. Season with olive oil, salt*, pepper, oregano, garlic powder and onion powder. This step can be prepared a day in advance.
3. Begin this step when the pasta is added to the boiling water. In a pan, add oil to cover the base of the pan and slowly brown the garlic to a golden colour on medium heat. Season with salt* and pepper (or cayenne for a little punch). Add the grilled vegetables. Sauté until the vegetables are infused with the taste of the garlic. If the pasta is not ready, lower the heat to minimum.
4. Drain the pasta and place in pasta dish. Add ½ of the grilled vegetable mixture. Stir. Add the remaining vegetable mixture with all the juices. Add the Parmigiano Reggiano and serve.
* Add a little at a time and adjust as needed.